Sunday, April 29, 2007

Did I forget to mention the hungry escalator?

Yesterday we had to buy Heather new Crocs (spongy clog like shoes for anyone who by some freak of chance doesn't yet know what a Croc is). On the last day in Australia we knew we had to "see" Sydney, but no one had much energy for touristic pursuits. We took the easy "double-decker-bus-tour-of-the-city" route. Every major commonwealth city seems to have one and Sydney is no exception.

After the bus tour was a visit to the Powerhouse Museum. I am not clear as to whether or not their escalators are unique in their apparently insatiable hunger for Crocs. Heather was on the escalator when it literally ATE her Croc. Luckily the back strap was not done up and she got her foot out without injury. Nothing was left of the Croc but shreds. The man at the information desk said that they "were aware of a problem with that type of shoe" indicating that Heather's Croc was not the first hapless victim. He suggested we buy new footwear and send the bill to the museum. He was not sure if we would be reimbursed. As I say, I am not sure if this is unique to those particular escalators. Anyway, I would say take care on escalators if you own Crocs....

Yesterday we went to the Hong Kong Museum of Art. It must have one of the most spectacular views in the world, not to mention a fine art collection. If I lived here, I would have a membership to the museum and regularly go to the 4th floor to stare out the windows. I was torn between looking at the art and the harbour. The museum is built right on the edge of the harbour so that once you are on about the third f'loor, it seems as if you are right in the water. You can no longer see any ground in front of you. It is a particularly beautiful piece of skyline on the other side and there are no end of interesting boats and ferries shuttling about in front of you.

I had not realized how beautiful Hong Kong is before I came here. The architecture on so many buildings (including the art museum) is fabulous. I guess you could say "duh" because the same thing happened to me when I visited the leaning tower of Pisa in Italy. I knew about the leaning part but not about the architectural beauty part. I knew Hong Kong was going to be huge and busy and interesting, but I have been really pleasantly surprised by it's beauty. I could happily live here (if I could find some way to make a living).

No comments: