Friday, May 11, 2007

Down the river to Yangshou

We are making a side trip to Yangshou today from Guilin. It is described in the book as a "tourist mecca". Why anyone would set themselves up for this much badgering, I will never know. We have not been accosted on this level since India and even that seems low key in comparison. You can't walk 5 feet without someone trying to sell you something and heaven help you if you try to stand still. Alan and Jacob disappeared and Heather and I did as you are supposed to, i.e. stay in the same place. Unfortunately, they were taking the opposite approach and looking for us far and wide.... Heather and I were sitting ducks on the street for all the hawkers.

Apparently this is supposed to be some promised land for people getting away from it all. You are supposed to ride bicycles in the surrounding countryside. I can only hope they don't try to knock you off your bicycles to sell you things.

Last night we went to see the performance of the waterfall hotel in Guilin. At 8.30 every evening, the facade of the hotel turns into a man made waterfall. A crowd gathers each night to watch the show. It is quite impressive. Before we went, I said to Alan that it would be too bad to miss something from the Guinness book of world records when we were so close (steps away). He said that was what made you coolest, when you didn't deign to put yourself out for these touristy things. I'm not cool. I once again embarrased my son by being too enthusiastic. I thought it was really good. After spending so much time in drought ridden Australia, it seemed really over the top, but I don't think they have water problems here. Not that we would know because we don't see any local news or understand it like we did there.

No comments: