Saturday, May 12, 2007

Yangshou until tomorrow

We haven't done much today because it has poured with rain off and on all day. All the people that tried to sell us postcards yesterday were trying to sell us umbrellas and rain ponchos today. Give the people what they want... After the 5th person approached me, I dug the rain poncho out of my little pack and every time one of them held one in my face to try to sell it to me, I showed them mine. It seemed to keep them at bay. They just thought I was nuts for not having it on, I suppose.

The kids actually love it here, looking at all the trinkets and gee gaws. We also discovered a used book store and managed to trade in 5 books for 3 plus $8. I thought it was good to encourage that sort of store. It certainly helped Jacob. He gets really freaked out when he is down to less than 3 fat books in hand. He has actually not been reading much for a day or two, I think because he was worried that he might run out before he could replenish his supply. He now has 3 1/2 fat books and one normal size one to tide him over. As soon as he had the new books he started reading them while walking down the street again. Heather got a cross stitch kit and I am working on a crochet collar from Godey's ladies book. I hope with all these reinforcments we will be armed well enough for the 25 hour train journey to Chengdu tomorrow....

No comments: